Thursday, February 8, 2007

Psalm 4

Did you hear me? Have you nothing to say? You’re good, I think, and I want to hear from you. I worry a lot these days, but I know that you have rest to give. Do you see my anxiety? Can you sense the tension between you and i? Please Lord, won’t you respond?

Sometimes it can seem like the people around me don’t want me to prosper. Or maybe it’s because they don’t want you. They worship all this stuff as if it’s real and lasting. When will they see? I’ve heard it said that we, your children, were chosen. If that’s true, does it mean that there are those that you have not chosen. I want them all to be yours. To belong to you. I want them to know that I am yours. That you have chosen me and adopted me as your child. That you have brought me into your home and I am safe and prosperous, yes prosperous, here because of you. We talked just this morning, you and i. I rambled on and on about a bunch of junk that must seem pretty trivial to you, but you were listening. I want them to know of this. I want them to search themselves. To be able to take a step back and see themselves as your creation. To see themselves as they choose to act foolishly. To come to know what it is they seek, or even that they are seeking it—seeking you. I want them to find a home in you. A home where they offer themselves for its prosperity.

I believe that they are searching for you. They lift every stone, every earthly stone trying to find goodness. I believe that you are that goodness. Don’t hide yourself. I remember when you revealed yourself to me. Since then, you have flooded my entire existence with that goodness, the goodness that is your son. I know him now and he knows me. He is so much more than any illusions I ever found under any rock. I’m secure now. Safe in your house where I rest.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yes, I really, really like this.

hoesayfina said...

"He is so much more than any illusions I ever found under any rock."
He is!
Thanks for sharing this with us Aaron...great translation. -maria

Anonymous said...

This is a true blessing..thank you.